Friday, January 18, 2013

Blast from the Past - Mackay Miner Mid Summer Edition 1908 Page 7 of 9


Mackay's Public School 1908

The above cut shows the schoolhouse at Mackay. The reader of this paper will notice by looking at the general map marked “Lucky Mackay,” that Mackay is situated in the heart of the Lost River Valley, and on account of the fact of its noted school, draws scholars from Dickey to Arc. The Mackay school building is a large brick building with six rooms, and employs at present five teachers, and affords a common school and high school education. The school board is comprised of Mrs. J.H. Green, Mrs. C.C. Davidson, and Henry Diers, all of whom are especially interested in the school work, so that they have the Mackay school work up to the highest notch, and Mackay is fortunate in having people to work for the school and take so much interest in it. The Mackay scholarship is gradually increasing until all five rooms now supplied with teachers have been crowded to their utmost capacity. The increase has not been due so much to the increase of population, as to the fact that the reputation of the school has been such that people from all over the valley, stock men, ranchers and others have built and rented houses in town especially for the purpose of placing their children in school during the winter time.

The Mackay school district is the owner of one full block in Mackay, the schoolhouse setting in the center, and a great number of trees have been set out to beautify the place, and the coming year will see a beautiful lawn. The scholars have taken a great deal of interest in athletics, organizing basketball teams, baseball and football, and the coming school year we expect to see some very good and closely contested games played between Pocatello, Blackfoot, Idaho Falls and other noted schools, against the Mackay athletes. Anyone acquainted with the facts will bear us out in saying that the Mackay school has earned the right to be classed among the greatest in the state. The schools of the county are looked after by the county superintendent. The lady now filling this position is Miss Jennie Kelleher, who is highly educated and takes the interest of the school to heart, and has devoted her entire time to the interest of the schools of the county.

With all these advantages, you can readily see that Mackay is to be congratulated upon her school.


The very first inquiry a person would make who is thinking of locating in Lost River Valley, would be as to her schools and churches, and we are to be congratulated in both. We have in Mackay, the Methodist church, with a neat, roomy, comfortable parsonage, and a pastor that works faithfully to accomplish the ends for which the church was established. The cut on this page shows this church and also the Episcopal church. Both churches are greatly growing in strength and services are always well attended.
 Methodist Church 1908
 Methodist Church Rev. Thomas Jones 1908
Episcopal Church 1908.


The streets of Mackay are especially to be noted. The Main street and Smelter avenue, which run through the hear of our village, is one mile long and has been graded up with a gradual drain from center, from depot to smelter, which cost about ten thousand dollars. It is equal to any paved street in the best of cities. All of the other streets through the residence portion of town have been leveled, graded up with a gradual slope from center to drains on each side, all pebbles and rocks raked off until now it is nearly impossible to find a rock on any of our streets, and if you will drive over them you will bear us out in saying that they are equal to any city streets in the world.


While we all deplore the circumstances which compel us to seek the services of the physician and surgeon or admittance into a hospital, we are nevertheless boundlessly grateful to the good doctor and his asylum for the sick and injured when we find ourselves, relatives or friends in affliction. Mackay can no boast of a nicely equipped little hospital where the best of care and the ablest medical and surgical skill are available to those so unfortunate as to suffer ill health or injury. This is the first institution of its kind in the county, and its location at Mackay only further establishes the activity and altruistic instincts of the citizens of the county and of this section in particular, to be up to date and in live with the progressive spirit of the age.

Conforming to a precedent in the selection of a name for this institution, in that the phrase “Lost River” has hitherto spelled success whenever applied as a name for institutions of whatever nature, the hospital is known as “The Lost River Hospital.”


It is not the purpose of this edition to make personal mention of any firm, individual or corporation excepting where it is necessary to show an industry in a clearer light or to make an opportunity stand out more boldly. Herewith is presented two cuts of two types of men who have each enjoyed a moderate success in their respective lines. W.H. Brown is a type of rancher who settled in this valley in the early days, coming here from Madison county, Illinois, after a succession of moves in the west, but finally settling here permanently. He represents the type of men who settled the Lost river valley and began the work of reclamation which is now being carried to degrees that he little dreamed of. He located a ranch in 1884 and has improved it to a high state.
Rancher, William H Brown 1908

The other picture is that of a man of middle age, Mr. H.W. Weiler, who has devoted his energies to mining and made a success of the venture. He is a native of Indiana, followed the butcher trade in the early part of his life and finally developed into a mining man of prominence through being one of the lucky owners of a lease on the mine owned by the Empire Copper company. His is what we western people call a “?,” one of the highest of ?ments. After making many thousands of dollars in Mackay, Weiler continues to reside here and is devoted his energies to the development of the country I many ? but mining particular.
Successful Miner, H W Weiler 1908


Some time ago, about fifty young people of our town ? that an athletic association ? formed. This has been done and the result that in different ? town tennis courts have been established, baseball grounds laid in the best manner, athletic ? have been built up with grand ? race tracks, and fenced in a ? manner. They have money in their treasury, and it is their intent? ?still go ahead as fast as possible to make this one of the essential ? ?tures of Mackay.

The mildness our climate and richness of the soil make ? farming and stock raising a ? success in every particular, proving profitable employment for the farmer, gardener, fruit grown and ? man.
 W S Connell's Harness and Saddle Making Shop 1908
 Mackay Hotel 1908

Miss Myrtle Quincy. The Lost River Development Company's Stenographer, who answers the letters 1908

No comments:

Post a Comment