Saturday, August 4, 2012

Blast from the Past - YEAR BOOK of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Mackay, Idaho 1903 - 1904 (Includes a brief history of Mackay too)

YEAR BOOK of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Mackay, Idaho 1903 - 1904.
Press of the Mackay Telegraph 1904
J.N. Haweltore (sp) Presiding Bishop, 1903, Idaho Conference.
Copyright 1903. M 1955 Listening to the Sermon  Roseland T.O. W. Red Oaks, Ia.
Year Book of The First M.E. Church
IN THE old town of Houston, four miles from Mackay, the first regular gospel services were held in the valley. During the year of 1896 services were held by various traveling evangelists, and in the year 1898 Rev. T.D. Saffel was appointed pastor and served nearly a year. After an absence of almost another year, he returned but only remained a short while. The Presiding Elder's report at conference in 1901, says: "Rev. J.L. Kendall was assigned to this barren field a year ago (1900). He went like Abraham of old, in at least two senses, viz., not knowing whither he went and with horses and camp outfit. He found Houston on Saturday morning at 10 o'clock. His wife cooked dinner for the family over a camp-fire while he went in search of feed for his horses. That night they had secured an old house in which to live, had procured a hall in which to worship, had put up notices for services the next day, and thus began a most successful year; many have found Christ, and the founda-
tions have been laid for greater work." The following year (1901) Brother Kendall, following the rush for the new town of Mackay, four miles away, secured six fine lots from the promoters of the town, and erected a neat and commodious church at a cost of $1,600. He had already bought a small house and moved it onto the lot adjoining the church as a home for the pastor. This was the second dwelling house in Mackay. All the indebtedness, save $196, was cleared off during Bro. Kendall's pastorate. His work, however, was not wholly along material lines. He ministered faithfully, assisted by his good wife, to the spiritual needs of the people. The membership grew from 4 to 33, the pastor's salary from nothing to $600. The present church property is a monument to their faithful endeavors

AT THE Confernce in Caldwell, in August 1902, Rev. G.G. Haley was appointed pastor in Mackay. Being in attendance at Chicago University at the time, he did not arrive on the Mackay work until late in October. He found a small debt and a loyal membership. In a few months the debt was provided for and the following summer (1903), mainly through the efforts of the Ladies' Aid Society, the church and parsonage property was fenced in by a neat picket fence, the yard was sowed down to grass and slight improvements made in the parsonage. During the winter before a gracious revival had welded the church membership together. Near the end of this revival, pursuant to the good old Methodist idea, a fine altar rail was put in (1902). In June 1903 the present pastor was elected State Secretary of the Idaho Sunday School Association and as such was away from Mackay considerable during the early fall. On his return, moreover, he fell ill and until late in the winter little, if anything was accomplished. The pastor, however, from his sick-bed, tried to direct in the furnishing of the church with pews. After his recover, in December, the work has gone on nicely until now (May 1904), we have comfortable, up-to-date pews, (all oiled and varnished), aisle carpets, choir loft and platform neatly carpeted, and new lamps added. All this at a cost of near $175. Many of the latter improvements were due to the efforts of the good ladies of the Aid Society. During the early par of the present year, Rev. O.A.

White, of Blackfoot, assisted the pastor in a two weeks' meeting. The membership was greatly quickened thereby and every department of the church work has gone ahead with new zeal. The Sunday School has grown steadily under the leadership, in 1903 of S.A. (Silas A.) Edrington and 1904 or the present Superintendent, Prof. W.A. Beakley. In June, 1903, this Sunday School subscribed $25 to the State Work, as much as the largest school in Idaho, and it has paid it. The Epworth League has kept up its devotional meetings throughout the year.

At the opening of the Conference year, 1903-4, an Official Board was organized and the pastor's salary increased $200 over the preceding year. An excellent choir has been organized. Printed bulletins are used in the morning and evening services. The attendance at public worship has greatly increased, the evening crowds being very large. Many improvements are planned for the coming year, among which are a new bell, enlarging of choir loft, changing rear partition to folding doors so that the League room may be added to the Auditorium, to accommodate the increasing crowds, and the building of a new parsonage or enlarging of old one.
Situated in the beautiful Lost River valley, about eighty-five miles from Blackfoot, is the thriving town of Mackay, named in honor of the late John W. Mackay, of cable fame. South, south-west, of the town and but a few miles distant, is White Knob peak, surrounded by a group of smaller peaks. Almost due north, McCaleb peak lifts its venerable head among the clouds and casts its shadow in the deep and precipitous canyon that winds its way between this major of the Rockies and another timbered hill, from which a flow of clear water gushes and forms a mountain stream that in a few months will furnish light and power. Stretching eastward for many miles is the fertile valley of the Lost River, covered with ranches that for productivity will soon equal, if not excel, any part of the state.

The town itself, literally sprang into existence in October 1901. It had been laid out by Wayne Darlington in the August previous, and the first building to be erected was Nathan Clark's law office. Very shortly thereafter the Mackay Telegraph building was erected just across the street. Then followed a mighty rush to move buildings from the old town of Houston, four miles away. The first building moved was the present Methodist parsonage. The first business house to open its doors was the present drug store of Baker and Paling, October 17, 1901. In less than three months the population reached nearly eight hundred. In a few months the
Oregon Short Line had built a branch from Blackfoot to Mackay.

At present, June 1904, Mackay has a population of about one thousand and is steadily growing. In the mountains south and west of town are many valuable mining claims, rich in copper, gold and lead, among which are the White Knob, the Horseshoe, the Sunnyside and the Iron Mask.

The White Knob Copper Co.'s mine is the only one systematically worked to any extent. It has a 600-ton smelter, which is connected with the mine by an electric road (railroad) and is running at its full capacity. About four hundred men are employed at the mine and smelter. This company expects soon to erect a large power plant to be supplied by water from Cedar Creek. Also we are told a lead stack will be put in at the smelter, to handle the lead-bearing ore.

The town has two churches, Methodist Episcopal and Protestant Episcopal, each having a resident minister. The Public School has a good brick building and is manned by three teachers. Recently a Free Reading Room has been opened on Main Street which is very well patronized. The town has a well-equiped volunteer fire department, a fine water system and good streets. During the winter twenty-five new cottages were erected. At the present writing a good, healthy boom is on and considerable building is in progress.
Class Leader, Mrs. M.E. Franklin.
Sunday School Superintendent, W.A. Beakley.
N.H. Clark.
Floyd Franklin.
A.W. Jenks.
R.H. Ewing.
Mrs. R.M. Wallace
Mrs. R.M. Wallace.
Mrs. Pearl Herman
R.H. Ewing
President Epworth League, W.A. Beakley.
Chairman, A.W. Jenks.
Secretary, W.Beakley.
Mrs. M.E. Franklin.
R.H.(Rueben Henry) Ewing.
Mrs. Pearl Herman.
Floyd Franklin.
N.H. Clark.
Mrs. R.M. Wallace
Superintendent, Prof. W.A. Beakley.
Secretary, Miss Gene Burnett.
Treasurer, Jennie Hendricks
Class No. 1, Primary, Mrs. Joseph Clark.
Class No. 2, Miss Ruth Baker
Class No. 3, Mr. Barzilla Clark
Class No. 4, Mr. G.G. Haley
Class No. 5, Mrs. R.M. Wallace
President, Mrs. L.V. Haley.
Secretary, Miss Gene Burnett.
Treasurer, Mrs. M.E. Franklin
Officers of the Sunday School.
Teachers of the Sunday School.
R.H. Ewing
Mrs. M.E. Franklin

MEMBERSHIP (June 1904)
Wm. A. Beakley.
Mrs. W.A. Beakley.
Chase A. Clark.
    Rosehill Cemetery, Idaho Falls
Lavina Edrington.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Silas A. Edrington
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Lilly Edrington.
Blanche Ewing.
Clyde Ewing.
Edith Ewing.
Edgar Ewing.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Myrtle Ewing.
Reuben Ewing.
     Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Bertha A. Franklin.
Elsie L. Franklin.
Floyd E. Franklin.
Mary E. Franklin.
Jacob M. Franklin.
Oben M. Franklin.
John W. Gue.
Mrs. Emma Gue.
Ira E. George.
Mrs. Ira George.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Mrs. Pearl Herman.
Mrs. L.V. Haley.
Mrs. Mary Haynes.
Miss Della Howard.
Lewis Hohn.
Mrs. Minnie Manley.
E.E. McClelland.
Mrs. Carrie McClelland.
W.H. Pershal.
M.N. Pomeroy
Mrs. Annie Pomeroy.
Mrs. Pucket.
Mrs. Robt. Reed.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Bertha B. Richardson.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
     Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Drucilla Richardson.
     Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
George P. Richardson.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Mrs. Helen Richardson.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
John J. Richardson.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Nellie A. Richardson.
A. Shepherdson.
Mrs. A. Shepherdson.
Mrs. R.M. Wallace.
    Mt. McCaleb Cemetery
Viola Wallace.

President, W.A. Beakley.
First Vice-President, H. Jukes.
Second Vice-President, Mrs. L.V. Haley.
Third Vice-Presient, Blanche Ewing.
Fourth Vice-President, Mrs. Beakley.
Secretary, Miss Louise Ebert.
Treasurer, Oben Franklin.
President, Mrs. W.A. Beakley.
Secretary, Mrs. (Lavina Barger) S.A.(Silas A.) Edrington.
Treasurer, Mrs. R.M. Wallace.
Mrs. W.A. Beakley.
Mrs. (Mary) Anderton
Mrs. Chas.(Agnes Vance) Baker
Birds-eye View from Smelter Hill, Mackay in the Distance.
The Academy of Idaho, Pocatello. Write for Catalogue, Address the President
The Telegraph is in no way an ordinary country printing office. The latest and best methods known to the typographical art are employed, and the equipment is such that all classes of work are executed, including book, job and all kinds of color work. Besides catering to those who purchase printing, we publish The Mackay Telegraph, which is an eight-page six-column weekly newspaper, covering a territory of 100 square miles or so, and covering it thoroughly. We are satisfied to get the price for high-class, neat, plain printing that others charge of the kind that hurts business, and for this reason we are building up a business that our friends say, is a creit to the town we do business in.
THE TELEGRAPH PRINT SHOP which is in Mackay, Idaho.

NOTE: the remainder of the YEAR BOOK of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Mackay, Idaho 1903 - 1904 is ads for the various business in Mackay, Idaho. Will post each ad separately as Blast from the Past - First Businesses in Mackay, Idaho. If you would like to review all add in the Year Book, just click First Businesses Label on the right.

Here are the ads from other towns that appeared in the Year Book of the First Methodist Episcopal Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment