Monday, July 19, 2010

Hidden Mouth Cave, Pass Creek, Custer County, Idaho

Getting to the Hidden Mouth Cave from Mackay, Idaho. Go on the Bar Road to the Pass Creek Road. Drive through the beautiful canyon. Just as you are exiting the canyon, turn right at the cattle corrals (2 large circular structures). Park there and hike the right trail. The trail is a bit steep until the tree line and then it is very steep after that. The good news is that it is not very far. Scramble over the large downed pine and you can see the mouth of the cave. Hiking this trail is best done with a walking stick, especially on the way down.

4 comments:

  1. How long did it take you to hike there? Love all your photos of Mackay. We are building a small cabin there off Barlett Point Road. I would love to know more hiking trails and 4 wheel trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than an hour, but we poked along and stopped to water our dogs half way. Thanks for your nice comment on my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you live in Mackay? We stayed this weekend at our property. We are now home in Twin Falls. We come up on the weekends. We 4 wheeled at the Mackay Mines. Loved it so much. Then today we road Burma Road to the top and the Cooper Basin Loop. Really neat. I took lots of photos. I think I need to make an account so I am not always anonymous. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I live in Mackay and I started this blog mostly for people who do not live here, but want to visit "virtually". Yes, our 4-wheeler trails are awesome around here, glad you are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete